Move Away / Parent Relocation

Regardless of whether or not you have custody of your children, if you decide to relocate to another town or state, the court should be notified. Since you and your ex-spouse are expected to adhere to the terms of your divorce settlement, relocating can create problems especially where child custody and visitation are concerned. For example, if you move away to southern California or out of state, your visitation schedule will most likely change. At the law office of Thomas E. Bouman, Attorney at Law, we assist custodial and non-custodial parents in post-divorce modifications involving child / parental relocations. As your lawyer, Mr. Bouman explains how visitation and custody could be impacted, as well how child support and spousal maintenance might change.

Avoid legal complications or unwanted surprises – contact family law attorney Thomas E. Bouman today and schedule a free phone consultation to discuss how we can help you.

My Ex-Spouse Knows I’m Moving – Why do I need an Attorney?

Even if you don’t have custody of your children, an out of state job offer will likely impact your income. As a result, your child support and spousal maintenance payments could be affected. Secondly, visitation and custody are impacted. If you have custody of your children you may now be required to send them to your ex-spouse’s for the summer or during certain holidays; alternatively, if you are the non-custodial parent, you may want to modify the current visitation schedule.

Whatever the case may be, moving out of state will change the dynamic of interaction both financially and legally between you, your ex-spouse, and your children. In order to avoid legal conflicts, it’s important to involve the court as soon as possible in order to ensure you are in compliance with your divorce settlement or any terms a post-divorce modification may involve.

Questions or Concerns? Contact Family Law Attorney Thomas E. Bouman

There are a number of things to consider in child / parental relocations. As an attorney, Mr. Bouman works one-on-one with clients in order to explain their situation, discuss the options available to them, and ensure they have the information needed to make informed decisions.

If you have questions regarding child / parent relocations, contact the law office of Thomas E. Bouman, Attorney at Law, today.